Jeff Bezos, born Jeffery Preston Bezos on January 12, 1964, is an American entrepreneur who played a key role in the growth of e-commerce as the founder and chief executive of Amazon.com Inc., the world’s biggest online retailer. Amazon started off as an online merchant of books and later started trading a wide variety of products. Under Jeff’s guidance, Amazon became the largest retailer on the world wide web (WWW) and redefined the internet sales model.
In 2018, Bezos became the world’s richest man when his personal wealth reached more than $150 billion. In August 2020, Bezos became the first person to see their net worth surge above $200 billion. In 2019, Amazon made over $386.1 billion in revenues and a record $23.1 billion in net profit.
Along the way Bezos also founded ‘Blue Origin’ – a spaceflight company which plans to launch rockets for commercial use and bought ‘The Washington Post’ and affiliated publications for $250 million.
It’s hard to imagine the future without Amazon playing a variety of roles in the lives of daily consumers, but it is unfathomable to imagine Amazon’s rise to prominence without the likes of Jeff Bezos steering the wheel. Here are some of the quotes and words of wisdom from this magnanimous industry titan to inspire us all to pursue our wildest dreams.
- “Life’s too short to hang out with people who aren’t resourceful.”
- “The common question that gets asked in business is, ‘why?’ That’s a good question, but an equally valid question is, ‘why not?’”
- “If you can’t tolerate critics, don’t do anything new or interesting.”
- “I think frugality drives innovation, just like other constraints do. One of the only ways to get out of a tight box is to invent your way out.”
- “We’ve had three big ideas at Amazon that we’ve stuck with for 18 years, and they’re the reason we’re successful: Put the customer first. Invent. And be patient.”
- “If you double the number of experiments you do per year, you’re going to double your inventiveness.”
- “What we need to do is always lean into the future; when the world changes around you and when it changes against you – what used to be a tail wind is now a head wind – you have to lean into that and figure out what to do because complaining isn’t a strategy.”
- “Humans are unbelievably data efficient. You don’t have to drive 1 million miles to drive a car, but the way we teach a self-driving car is have it drive a million miles.”
- “The question really is, are you improving the world? And you can do that in many models. You can do that in government, you can do that in a non-profit, and you can do it in commercial enterprise.”
- “You know, we love stories, and we love narratives; we love to get lost in an author’s world.”
- “I have won this lottery. It’s a gigantic lottery, and it’s called Amazon.com. And I’m using my lottery winnings to push us a little further into space.”
- “The solar system can support a trillion humans. And then we’d have a thousand Mozarts and a thousand Einsteins.”
- “If you only do things where you know the answer in advance, your company goes away.”
- “A company shouldn’t get addicted to being shiny, because shiny doesn’t last.”